Happy Memorial Day weekend! Thanks to no snow days here in the Midwest this year (a rarity!) Memorial Day means more than just a day off in honor of remembrance. This year, for us and for many, it truly kicks off summer as schools wind down and/or let out. As you remember our troops, whether with a family gathering, or a barbecue following a memorial parade, we bring you some easy, but delicious and fun Red, White & Blue recipes and picnic recipes for your event.
Red, White & Blue Skewers
- Wood skewers
- Blueberries (as large and firm as you can find), approximately 40
- Firm watermelon (3/4-inch squares), approximately 40
- Feta, or other white block cheese, approximately 8 ounces, cut into small cubes
Thread berries, melon and cheese onto skewers, repeat until all but one and a half inches of the skewer are full.
Red, White and Blue Stuffed Burgers
Ingredients (serves 8, and is easily doubled or tripled)
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 2 cups diced cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup blue cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced white onion
- 8 hamburger buns
- toppings of your choice
Season beef with seasoning. Form into 16 thin patties. Combine tomatoes, cheese and onions. Place a small scoop in the center of each of 8 patties, and flatten out. Top with remaining patties, and crimp edges . Grill to desired doneness, being careful when turning.